Saturday, 4 February 2012

Re-awakening

Not much blogging this week and couldn't find the time to do much at Imbolc. I am not too worried about this, as I have said I am starting over and re-exploring pagan spirituality. But it does bring home the realisation that a deeper engagement with this in the future would mean that I would not have to find time, but make time to mark and celebrate the quarter and cross-quarter festivals. This is something I would like to do, not just to celebrate or venerate, but to mark out the year and bring more structure to my busy life. I will eventually have to make a greater commitment, but right now these thoughts, feelings and concepts are only just re-awakening in me.

So I guess a parallel could be drawn between my present condition and this time of year. This struck me on a woodland walk last weekend. At first it was frosty and it seemed that we were still in the grip of winter.

And there were remnants of last year.









The copper beech hanging on to its leaves.


But the sun was shining and on the ascendant and there were signs of new life stirring everywhere. In places the ground was breaking with the first shoots of new growth. All around, life was forcing its way back into the woodland. And taking time to stop and close your eyes, you could hear and smell it too. The faint smell of wild garlic already, the birdsong. You could sense the approach of spring and the promise of renewed life.

And I suppose this is how I feel about my path at the moment: renewal, growing potential, but still early stirrings.

I don't have an altar or know any spells, but maybe on this walk I celebrated the spirit of Imbolc without realizing it.














Here are some more pictures (the fungi are dedicated to Moma Fauna)




2 comments:

  1. If Aine's characterization Imbolc is to be embraced (& I'm for it), I believe you did a mighty fine job of recognizing the Spirit of Imbolc.

    Thank you for taking me on your woodland wandering. How did you know I missed them so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Our woods are still snowbound....

    I liked what you said about marking out the year with the sabbats, adding structure. You don't have to do a lot to mark the day and embrace its intent... although the outward expressions (decorating an altar, a ritual, those things you "do") are important, perhaps more important is the inward recognition of what the day means - to you. The other stuff comes with time!

    Aine
    http://thehemlockgrove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete